2019 UN International Day of Peace Boston
United Nations International Day of Peace
Sunday 22nd September 2019 2 – 4 pm
Boston Common (near Park Street MBTA station)
Music, Dance, Song, Poetry,
Artwork, & Peace Education
Face-painting and Activities for Children
Followed by Walk to Garden of Peace
Special Prelude Music starts at 1:45
Free for all ages
United Nations Theme for 2019 International Day of Peace:
"Climate Action for Peace"
This year's program will include:
- Rob Bethel Albioni’s "Adagio in G Minor”
- Building Bridges Through Music “Am I Wrong?”, “I See Your True Colors”, and “Straighten Up & Fly Right”
- Neil Dale "Heart of the Earth" and "Help Wanted"
- David Doms, Dan Fitzmartin, Toussaint Liberator, and Stew Replogle "How Long?"
- Dawn Duncan Land Commemoration/"It's Time to Balance Tolba Menahan (Turtle Island)"/"Carry It On"
- Stone of Hope Drumming Circle "Djembe Rhythms"
- Rabbi Shoshana Meira Friedman "The Tide is Rising"
- Allen McGonagill "Headed for Extinction & What to do About It"
- Kevin C Peterson “Democracy in Dilemma: Climate Crisis and the Existential Threat to Normative Global Citizenship”
- Nick Rabb "Climate Change & War: Organizing Against Sanctioned Violence"
- Rev. Vernon K Walker “Hope in the Midst of Hopelessness”
- Alewife Poets “Letter from Gaia” and “Why I Miss the Lost Trees”
- Jubilee Christian Church Harvest Adult Dance Ministry "Movement Arts"
- Kaeza Fearn “All Together” (Participatory Dance)
Click on highlighted name to be transferred to their website
Scroll down to see brief biographies of the performers and speakers
We Thank Our Sponsors for 2019
Click on sponsor name to be transferred to their website.
Will you sponsor us? Contributions can be sent to: Cooperative Metropolitan Ministries, 474 Centre Street, Newton, MA 02458. Check should be made out to Cooperative Metropolitan Ministries, listing IDP Boston in the memo field.
International Day of Peace Boston
Please put the local celebration of the 2019 United Nations International Day of Peace on your and your organization’s calendars. We will be holding it on the Boston Common (near the Park Street MBTA station) on Sunday 22nd September from 2 – 4 pm.
The celebration (our tenth annual) will be focused on the United Nations’ theme for the 2019 – Climate Action for Peace – and the need for peace with justice for all in our community and around the world. The program will include brief presentations by local peacemakers about their work, performances of music, dance, and song, and activities for children. The program concludes with the reading of a list of local victims of violent death this past year. We will then walk to the nearby Garden of Peace where stones engraved with the names of local victims of violence lie.
Please help us celebrate peacemaking and nonviolence at the local UN International Day of Peace gathering. We are hoping you and members of your organization will attend this program. If you choose to become a member of the planning committee, you could shape the program of this year’s celebration. If you become a sponsor, we would list you on our website and program and provide a table and space at the event for your display in return for your help in publicizing the event and any contribution you could make.
It is time to take steps to save our environment and to end the cycle of violence. We urge all to reduce our energy consumption, switch from nonrenewable resources to solar, wind, and hydro power, and to reduce our pollution emissions. We call on all to put down weapons, open our hearts, loosen our tight fists, and start to build a united community based on peace with justice for all. We see the celebration of the UN International Day of Peace as an excellent opportunity to take a step along this path.
Please let us know how we can include you in this year’s event. For more information, contact us at InternationalDayofPeaceBoston@gmail.com.
Rev. Rodney E Dailey, Bethel Lowell Church
Ian Harrington, Friends Meeting at Cambridge (Quakers)
co-chairs of the Planning Committee